Thursday, July 26, 2012

23. The Olympics

As the London 2012 Olympic Games approaches, I am reminded of the incredible energy and city spirit of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. While I was excited to be a part of Olympic history, nothing could prepare me for the way in which the Games really brought Vancouverites together. Within days, there was a sea of red and white, almost everyone sporting red and white mittens supporting Canada. It was the first time I saw the city unite, everyone riding on a high of solidarity and positive patriotism for Vancouver and Canada. I felt so much pride, and my spouse and I thoroughly enjoyed the different games and activities that were happening throughout the city. The cauldron was simply spectacular, and the Games were a great way to have an appreciation for sports like curling. The  climax, of course, was the ice hockey final between Canada and the USA - one of the most tense games I've ever watched. The glorious moment during overtime when Sidney Crosby scored the goal that got us Olympic Gold...the mass of people crowding downtown in a sea of red and white, certainly memories worth feeling grateful for. So, thank you, Olympics 2012, for reminding me of how sports can truly unite a nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment